Guess what?? It's back!!!
I've gotten lots and lots of requests after my last meal planning post so I thought it might be time to try it again.
But first, let me remind you all of a few things:
* I am a stay at home mom. I make absolutely no monetary compensation for this blog. I am simply sharing my meal planning strategy with you.
* NO, I will not post my shopping list for you. Why, you might ask? First, because I make about 4 different lists and no one other than me would understand them. And secondly, because you and I may not need the same things to make these recipes. I have done meal planning for months and months, so I have a pretty good stock pile of my "most used" items. If I gave you my shopping lists, you would certainly come home missing some ingredients. Not to mention the fact that right now my shopping list looks like this:
* I will not be taking a picture of my receipts and posting them on this blog. Why (you ask again)? Because it's my way of saying you're just going to have to trust me! Again, I make nothing off of this blog (at least not yet!) so what motivation would I have to lie to you? If I say I only spend $350 (this month I actually spent less!) on groceries for the month, then it's true. Believe me or not, that's your call. But please keep in mind that grocery costs can vary significantly from state and state and even from city to city. However, I must add that I am an avid coupon clipper!
* YES, we DO eat vegetables! These recipes are only for the main courses of our meals. I buy fresh veggies in bulk (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts), divide them up into smaller freezer safe zip-lock bags and freeze them.
* YES, my kitchen is a hot mess on the days that I prepare and freeze all the meals. Wanna see proof?
General Guidelines:
- eat out once on the weekends - this may mean we order take out or drive through. it is also used as a "flex" day in case we have a last minute change of plans and eat out earlier in the week - in that case, we would switch dates and eat at home on the weekend - clear as mud?
- we do breakfast for dinner usually once a week. it's cheap and my kids love it. i will sometimes do pancakes, or biscuits/gravy, or eggs/bacon. we might even throw cereal in the mix too!
- i've also added sandwiches this month. I buy several loaves of bread and freeze them. YES, they are just as good once they are defrosted as they are when you buy them in the store. Some days I'' do grilled cheese, some days turkey/cheese, some days pimento cheese or chicken salad. All of these things I keep on hand, but basically it's a day when I don't have to use my oven!
- for snacks? I keep a stockpile of fruit and crackers in the house. Yes, these are included in my shopping list, and also in my grand total costs.
- for lunches? we normally have left overs from the night before. It is rare that my family eats all of what I have prepared for dinner. However, if we do run out, I also have chicken nuggets, PB&J, corn dogs, etc on hand. My children are young (my oldest isn't even 5 yet) so they aren't too picky.
Alright! Ready to get this party started?!
Total Spent this month:
SAM's club - $78 (corn dogs for kids, bread, rotisserie chicken, fresh broccoli, apples, bananas, eggs, salmon, grapes, avocados, chicken breasts)
Kroger - $174 - this included everything I needed for all the recipes - BUT I did not have to buy meat for the venison recipes BC we already had that in our fridge. I also didn't have to buy pancake mix for breakfast night because I keep that stocked in my pantry as well. Also, I almost always buy the Kroger brand. I had a $7.00 off Kroger coupon and I used about 15 other coupons. According to my receipt, I saved $41.96 total by using coupons.
Total Spent - $252 - yes, I will need to go to the grocery store 2 more times this month to stock up on milk and eggs and a few more veggies. I estimate those trips to total maybe $75.
Meal Plan - March 2013
Date - Dinner1 - Eat Out (because I was still planning the menu for the month - yikes!)
2 - Taco Spaghetti (this was un eaten from last month's meal plan - I didn't shop for these ingredients b/c it was already prepared, but I will post the recipe below)
3 - Dinner at mom and dad's house (yay for parents who feed us!)
4 - BBQ Pork Sandwiches
5 - Chicken Alfredo
6 - Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
7 - Mock Lasagna
8 - Leftovers
9 - Eat out
10 - Chicken Spinach Enchiladas
{The following week is spring break for us. I made the meal plan simple b/c I don't know what plans will be}
11 - Grilled Fish
12 - Chicken Sausage Gumbo
13 - Leftovers
14 - Sandwiches
15 - Breakfast for dinner
16 - Eat Out - because my baby boy turns FIVE today!!
17 - Family in town - dinner at mom and dad's
18 - Chicken Alfredo
19 - Venison Stroganoff
20 - Sandwiches
21- Breakfast for dinner
22 - Mock Lasagna
23 - Eat Out
24 - Taco Dinner Macaroni & Cheese
25 - Chicken Spinach Enchiladas
26 - BBQ Pork Sandwiches
27 - Grilled Fish
28 - Chicken Sausage Gumbo
20 - Venison Chili Pasta with Beans
21 - Evening wedding to attend - kids with babysitter
Recipes - {some of these are new recipes for me this month - don't blame me if they're bad :), my family will be suffering right alongside of yours!}
BBQ Pork Sandwiches
{I did not double this. I made it exactly how it is written blow. However, I was able to feed my family tonight and have enough left over for TWO more meals - I packed the extra meat in tupperware with some juices and froze it. I also froze the left over bread and labeled it to match the meat. This makes a LOT. Also, it was VERY good! I added a little BBQ sauce to my sandwich and it was yummy!}
Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons barbecue seasoning, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 (5-lb.) bone-in pork loin center rib roast
- 1 (15-oz.) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper
- 12 multigrain buns
- Dill pickles (optional)
- Preparation
- 1. Combine 1 Tbsp. barbecue seasoning and 1 tsp. salt; rub evenly over pork roast.
- 2. Stir together tomatoes, next 7 ingredients, remaining 1 Tbsp. barbecue seasoning, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt in a 6.5-quart slow cooker. Add roast; cover and cook on LOW 9 hours or until meat shreds easily.
- 3. Remove roast; remove and discard bone. Shred meat using the tines of 2 forks. Return to slow cooker, and stir together with sauce; spoon over multigrain buns. Serve with pickles, if desired.
- Source: Mary Alexander, Richmond, Virginia, Southern Living JUNE 2006
Venison Stroganoff
{Again, this is a new recipe for me! I'm so adventurous this month! If you don't have venison, just substitute ground beef or ground turkey! Also, I will make this and double it - the recipe below is not doubled. I will freeze the leftover stroganoff, but not the rice. I will make fresh rice the next time we eat this meal. Make sense?}Ingredients
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 4 TBS butter
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 lb ground venison
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 TBS flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 can of mushrooms - I omitted this b/c I actually hate mushrooms!
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup of sour cream
Directions
Saute onion in butter until golden. Stir in peppers, venison, garlic, flour, salt, pepper, paprika and mushrooms.
Cook 5 minutes.
Add soup, simmer 10 minutes.
Stir in sour cream.
Garnish with parsley - who actually ever does this step??
Serve over fresh rice.
Taco Dinner Mac and Cheese
{Remember, this was a recipe that was left over from last month, so the total of it's ingredients are not included in my amount spent, or added to my grocery list. See?! This is why I don't post my grocery list for you! Anyway, it is a family favorite. It can be made ahead and it freezes very well! To freeze it, cook it just like the directions say. Let it cool and then wrap it up.}Ingredients
- 1 (8-ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (1.25-ounce) envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (8-ounce) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded - I buy the cheese already shredded
- Toppings - if you wish: chopped tomato, avocado, and green onions, sour cream, salsa
- Preparation
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Brown ground beef in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Drain.
- Return beef to skillet; stir in taco seasoning mix and 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil, and cook, stirring occasionally, 7 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates. Remove beef mixture from heat.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in cooked pasta and beef mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
- Source: Southern Living SEPTEMBER 2005
Venison Chili Pasta with Beans
{this recipe is from Cooking Light and it actually calls for ground beef. I am going to use Venison, since it's already in my freezer. I will cook a double batch of the recipe below and freeze 1/2 of it. Since this meal is at the end of the month, it will be a meal on next month's calendar.}
Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 pound ground sirloin
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces uncooked ruote (about 2 1/4 cups uncooked wagon wheel–shaped pasta)
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles (such as Muir Glen), undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- Preparation
- 1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and beef to pan; cook 4 minutes or until onion is tender and beef is browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in chili powder, cumin, and oregano; cook 1 minute. Stir in 2 cups water and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 18 minutes or until pasta is done.

47 comments:
Thanks for taking the time to share! I always enjoy reading meal planning ideas and getting ideas for different meals or recipes. I know you are a busy mom, so again, thank you!
Thank you for sharing. You are doing many of us a great favor by making this post. I'm sorry that some people have asked you to "prove yourself".
I am a huge believer in making things from scratch, so I make my own alfredo, marinara sauces and chicken stock, etc. Making chicken stock itself costs about 15 dollars. Is there anyway to keep this cost down?
When you make ahead casseroles, do you set them out on counter or in the fridge the day you are going to bake them?
I've made some of your recipes from the previous post - and I can't wait to try these! Thank you so much for taking the time to post these. - Beth
Whoops, left off the most important part: I've made some of your recipes AND THEY ARE DELICIOUS! - Beth
Thank you so much for sharing! I stumbled upon your blog from Pinterest. My husband recently quit his job so we could go into full-time ministry and we are cutting corners everywhere we can so that we can be less of a burden on the Church. What a blessing this is! Thank you!
So glad I came upon your blog! I am a newlywed and still trying to figure out how to feed my hubby and myself. I can't wait to try some of these! Blessings to you and your beautiful family!
I stumbled onto your blog form pinterest and am so glad that I did. My family has loved every recipe I made of yours and I love having meal planning be so easy! Thank you for your time in posting. I am a stay at home mom of only 2 under 4 and they take up all my time so having 4 under 5 I can only imagine how busy you they keep you.
I make chicken stock for free. Throughout the month I save any chicken bones or skin or any other chicken pieces. Any veggies I save the ends and peelings. These get added to a bag in the freezer. When the bag is full I make stock. Dump all into a slow cooler cover w/ 10-12 cup water. Add 1-2t salt and maybe some pepper and Italian seasoning. Cook low about 8 hrs. Tastes great and uses all extras so its free.
I must thank you so much for sharing your monthly menu. I want to do this and am looking through lots of different blogs trying to educate myself. You have lots of experience that I am learning from. Thanks!
My family really likes "brinner"! But I don't do breakfast for dinner unless I make biscuits and gravy. I am the weird one, breakfast is for morning, dinner is evening. I must be like the only one that won't eat "brinner"!
Hmmm maybe you should write an ebook with your monthly meal plans!! I would buy it.
so the BBQ Pork Sandwiches was that a Prep/nocooking or a make day of?
Hi there! Wanted to say that I'm loving the meal planning for the month and am hoping to implement it in my house as well. I was excited to hear about the Taco Spagetti yet in the recipes at the bottom I only found Taco Mac & Cheese. Is there a Taco Spagetti recipe or was that an error? Thanks for sharing time out of your busy schedule! :)
I love that you incorporate venison! Was the venison stroganoff a favorite? Any of the other venison recipes favorites? Thanks for the meal plan!
For the Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas can those be frozen and microwaved for eating later?
I have a family of 6 as well, so i am SO excited to try your monthly meal planning methods! Thank you for sharing your ideas with us Moms! I look forward to reading more if you'd bless us so. Like, how you freeze things and what they look like after? What is good to be frozen and what is not? I'm scared to freeze bread bc i don't know what it will look like after? Isn't it soggy? or is thare a tip we need to know? Thank you! :D Oh and what is your first pic of? it looks delish!
WOOOT. I am so excited about this blog!! I have a family of 5 with lots of activities and some days, I just don't want to cook for 3hours in the evening. I love the freeze ahead recipes and I am totally writing down some of the recipes!! I totally agree with the previous response: I would for sure buy your Ebook full of monthly mealplans!!
Yay! This looks fantastic! Now, if only I could find someone to clean up the kitchen mess.... Thanks for sharing:)
I've tried my menu a few different ways. So many moms prefer once a month like you do, but I've found that a two-week menu is perfect for us. It's the right amount of time that I don't have to shop b/w menus because milk and produce will last two weeks. With a toddler that is not the best little shopper, I love that I just have to grocery shop once every two weeks! I thought I'd share that option as in case it helps anyone reading the comments:)
I like your guidelines for meal planning. My newest venture is to make menu planning more simple by implementing some of the same ideas. I love cooking blogs and making new recipes, but I've realized that making new recipes doesn't decrease the stress around dinner prep-time so I'm trying to make one meal a week easy (breakfast/leftovers/freezer), two meals a new recipe, two meals a favorite or no-recipe (like tacos or something I don't need to refer to a recipe for) and one meal pizza (Sundays we are fed by inlaws:). Last time I menu-planned it only took me 15 minutes verses the 2 hours it used to take of going through pinterest or cooking blogs!
Thank you so much for posting! I cannot wait to try this. You are ministering to all of us moms who are looking to save money AND keep our families healthy and happy. Thanks for taking time out of your busy days to share! Wendy
So this is random. I saw a pin on pinterest and clicked on your blog. I used to work at HMS with your mom and my hubby was on staff with your father in law until we recently moved overseas. Small world! Love the meal plans. I do this sometimes, a week at a time usually, but you make me want to get back into the swing of meal planning and for longer periods of time. Your recipes sound great too! :)
What type of containers do you freeze your meals in? I dont have a whole lot of extra pans... Thanks!
Amazing! Thank you so much for taking the time to share all your ideas and wonderful meals. Dinner's have always been difficult for me, so I'm hoping your planning strategy's will work.
I'm concerned about GMOs, hormones, antibiotics, etc in foods. Do you use organic foods?
I used your website the last time I did bulk cooking and for the life of me could not find it again...so glad I did...THANK YOU!!
Thank you so much for your Blogging! I love that you are so forthcoming and absolutely REAL with your content.
I am so intimidated by cooking and now that I am a SAHM, (well, I have been for about 5 years now) I can't seem to break the habit of ordering out. I know I can cut our eating expenses by quite a bit if we eat at home more often.
Your information gives me a place to start and encouragement when I need to start over...and over...;)
I am very curious as to how the mock lasagna turned out. Could you share your opinion, I have heard thata cream cheese and sour cream dont freeze well....
I made the Venison Stroganoff tonight for supper. It was a huge it! I added a 6 oz. jar of mushrooms, including the liquid. Turned out perfect! I served over egg noodles. Thanks for the great recipe!
Thank you so much! I cannot wait to give this a try! I just started meal planning on a week by week basis and it has been a lifesaver!! You are truly an inspiration!! Once again thank you for taking time out to help out other stay at home mommies!!
Regards from Santiago de Chile.
We are 6 too, and I a old mom stay at home. Your work is geat and you are very generous whit all us.
Congrats 4 u blog.
God bless your family.
Making stock is really fun and easy. Take a whole chicken (bone in- I take the skin off because it cuts down on fat) and throw it in a pot with a whole chopped celery, whole chopped onion, and 5-6 chopped carrots. Cover all of this with water. Med heat for 45mins then add salt and pepper. Strain the liquid, chill and even freeze. I then pull the chicken off and season it for tacos or enchiladas. The veggies will have no flavor so toss or add to compost pile :)
Do your noodles not get mushy when reheating them after being previously cooked and frozen?
Oh, and when doing the casserole (freeze and bake later" recipes is it ok to use foil pans for them? As we don't have many pans at all. Also, I've doubled a few of these, not because we are a family of six, but because we are a family of three, I'm just occasionally like, you cook, I'm going to take the dogs (we have 4 of those) on a 2 hr walk which actually consists of the two block walk to the dog park and then pinteresting for two hours :) thank you so much for all of this!
This is such an inspiration. I have been trying to figure out how to brind down my food budget for a family of four sometimes five. I never even thought about prepping at the beginning of the month. It makes sense. Saves time later, and really does save money. Can't wait to incorporate your ideas into a meal plan of my own. Really has me thinking about what meals I make, I can freeze and save for later.
Thank you so much for all your work to get everything typed up for the benefit of strangers, you are very kind. God Bless.
This is awesome and you are truly awesome for sharing because let's face it you didn't/don't have to. Especially this detailed and for free! Remember you can't please everybody. Be blessed!
How very nice of you to share all this invaluable info and take the time to type recipes.
You say you only spend $350 or less/month, but do you buy anything organic? or do you buy your meat with no hormones, pesticides, additives, nitrates, nitrites, etc..? Im into all that and I have no idea how you only spend that much for a family of 5! I spend more than that on a family of 3. nice blog I just wish organic was cheaper so I could follow your guidelines!
Thank you for posting this. I'm new to the stay at home mom gig and I'm looking for ways to save some money. This is something I've thought of before but wasn't sure where to start. So again I thank you so much for this post, it was extremely helpful to me.
Thanks for taking the time to share these recipes! I too have a family of 6. 10,8, 3,3. I did an incredible amount of cooking yesterday but it was so nice to only have to turn my oven on and put a pan in the oven! We had the Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas tonight and they were a HUGE hit. We had the Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Alfredo last night and I wasn't to impressed. Needs a little tweeking. I love your blog!!! Thanks so much for your efforts to help the rest of us. Looking forward to trying the rest of the recipes.
Frozen bread defrosts just fine IF you defrost it in the bag in the refrigerator. If I need it now, I generally break off a slice and use the toaster (briefly if you want bread not toast).
a poor sinner
Thanks for making this list! Blogging is a lot of work and it's amazing how many people do not realize the time and resources that goes into; especially when trying to balance life, family, and a few moments unto yourself! I have always just made a mental note of what I would make for the week and never planned out much further than 7 days. However, I can see that if really would help save time and money! I am not a "make ahead" girl except for big batch freezing of soups and such but it does give me some very useful tips and techniques to incorporate.
I can totally see how you spend so little now! I used to live in Michigan and getting all of those Kroger coupons plus what came in the papers really helps! We moved to the Prairie where food costs on average 35-55% more and there is no competition let alone very few coupon mailers are sent out monthly in the papers. Good for you for being about to do what you do and take care of your family while being very budget friendly! Thanks for the tips and ideas too!
You have made me feel so excited to get started on my meal planning! I have a four year old son and one year old twin boys, so I'm in a similar boat as you! Thanks so much! P.S. I'd love to see a picture of your freezer when you get a chance.
Thank you! I am motivated to actually do this because of your blog!
kkk
Post a Comment